Mission: Helping low-income families and individuals with critical support needed to sustain basic living needs in Central NJ. Actively collaborate with others to provide health-related and social services.
What volunteers do:
- Clerical work, such as filing and handling large mailings and helping with other office tasks
- Organizing large donations of baby clothes
- Running diaper drives
- Attending meetings that have information to share with clients, such as networking for healthcare and food; health fairs; meetings of other social service agencies.
- Helping with special projects, such as our Holiday Wishing Wall.
Region: New Brunswick, Middlesex County
Mission: Buddies provides NJHS Licensed Substance Abuse Counseling & Treatment Services; Free Rapid HIV Testing & Counseling; Case Management; Medical Case Management; Housing & Housing Assistance; Dental Services; Counseling Services; YMSM Support Spot; Peer Support Groups; Transportation; and a Food Bank.
Volunteer page: http://www.njbuddies.org/make-a-difference/volunteer
Volunteer form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSf-5n4Ep-vSrTl-uuV_R810oDdO5UXDUYWUJMni14-RunXbZw/viewform
What volunteers do: Event Volunteers: Each event is unique in nature and needs volunteers in the following areas: planning (start to end), promoting under direction of event manager, donation and prized organization, ‘day of’ set-up and clean-up, ticket collectors, greeters, raffles sales, table organization, cooks, servers, performers and artists, security and other misc.
Region: Hackensack, Bergen County
Mission: NAMI New Jersey (NAMI NJ) is a statewide non-profit organization dedicated to improving the lives of individuals and families affected by mental illness. Through education, support, advocacy and public awareness programs NAMI NJ fosters understanding about mental illness, confronts stigma often associated with mental disorders, advocates for public policies that benefit those affected by mental illness, and promotes research into the causes, treatment and recovery of mental health disorders.
What volunteers do: Program design, outreach, publications, website design, administrative work, and a host of other tasks.
Region: New Brunswick, Middlesex County
Mission: NJCA is a statewide grassroots organization that fights for economic and social justice. We combine on the ground organizing, legislative advocacy, and electoral campaigns to win progressive policy and political victories that make a difference in people’s lives.
Through education, outreach and direct services, we empower people to take control of their economic futures.
Volunteer form/page: https://njcitizenaction.org/?page_id=180
Phone: Interested individuals should call NJCA at (732) 246-4772 or (973) 643-8800 and speak with Ann, India, Dena or, Maura.
What volunteers do: New Jersey Citizen Action is in need of volunteers working out of our Highland Park and Newark offices on Mondays, Thursdays, and Fridays to do data inputting of and phone calling to activists across the state, inviting them to participate in upcoming events and actions coordinated by NJCA.
Region: Highland Park and Newark, Middlesex and Essex Counties
Mission: To strengthen the emotional and social well-being of individuals and families through affordable mental health counseling and social service programs.
What volunteers do: The Thrift Shop is always in need of help for retail sales, merchandising and inventory. The Food Pantry requires much assistance for food drive collections, stocking shelves, and distributing goods.
Region: Nutely, Essex
Mission: Planned Parenthood of Northern, Central, and Southern New Jersey, Inc. (PPNCSNJ) provides high-quality, comprehensive, accessible, and affordable reproductive and complementary health care services, emphasizing privacy, confidentiality, dignity and sexual self-determination. We advocate for public policies that guarantee these rights and ensure access to such services. We provide and support education programs that expand understanding of human sexuality.
What volunteers do: While our volunteers work in many different areas of Planned Parenthood, they may:
- Assist in distributing educational materials at health fairs and community events.
- Assist with advocacy work surrounding reproductive rights, including legislative updates and voter registration.
- Assist with development work.
Mission: Zufall Health Center’s nearly 21,000 patients are among the neediest in the state. Currently, 64 percent are uninsured, with most of the remaining 35 percent on Medicaid, NJ Family Care, or Medicare. The mission of the Zufall Health Center is to provide quality, affordable and culturally competent healthcare in partnership with our patients and the community in New Jersey.
Volunteer form/page: http://www.zufallhealth.org/get-involved/volunteer-opportunities/
Sexual Assault Support volunteers: firstname.lastname@example.org
Good As New Resale Shop, Development Assistant: email@example.com
Sexual Assault Support volunteers: (908) 526-2335, ext. 132.
Good As New Resale Shop, Development Assistant: 908-526-2335, ext. 134
What volunteers do:
- Sexual Assault Support Services Advocate: assist survivors of sexual assault through our 24-hour sexual assault crisis hotline and/or provide support at the hospital or police department. A 40-hour training (provided) which must be completed before becoming an active advocate. Training sessions are held once or twice a year in the evenings. Must be 18 years or older and reside in Somerset County or the surrounding area. Bilingual Spanish advocates are especially needed. Also- Must complete an application, participate in an interview, and submit to a criminal background check.
- Good As New Resale Shop: The shop located in downtown Somerville. Shop Manager, co-manager - Support the manager in the daily operations of the shop and scheduling of volunteers. Shop Associate- Volunteer in the shop one or more days a week each month to sort donations, price, re-stock inventory, merchandise, and help customers.
- Development Assistant: assist the Development Department with a variety of clerical tasks including filing, photocopying, assisting with mailings, data entry, research, making phone calls, special event preparations
Region: Somerset County