Mission: Defend and protect the liberties of individuals throughout our state. We achieve our goals through litigation, advocacy on behalf of individuals, and lobbying. In addition, the ACLU-NJ is active in many public education and community organizing projects.
Volunteer page: https://www.aclu-nj.org/act/volunteer/
Volunteer form: https://www.aclu-nj.org/act/volunteer/volunteerinquiryform/
Attorney Volunteer form: https://www.aclu-nj.org/act/volunteer-attorney-form/
What volunteers do:
- Office (Newark): Answer phones, file, manage mail, and organize and update our databases.
- Events and Outreach: Table at community events across the state - at street fairs, festivals, parades, meet and greet parties and rallies, and other events.
- From Home:
Clip newspaper articles that mention civil liberties issues or the ACLU-NJ from local newspapers.
Write letters to the editor about civil liberties in local papers.
Work with community groups to pass pro-civil liberties resolutions in their communities.
Host house parties for their friends with an ACLU-NJ speaker.
Mission: A 501(c)(3) non-profit, counseling and representation of low-income immigrants, including the undocumented. Represents clients before the Citizen and Immigration Service (CIS), in Immigration Court, and in appeals covering matters such as political asylum, cancellation of removal, temporary protected status, naturalization, and self-petitioning aliens under the Violence against Women Act of 1994.
In addition to legal assistance, El Centro offers citizenship and ESL courses as part of its effort to help immigrants become productive members of their community. We also run a small emergency food pantry for those in need and provide personal “advocates” for those seeking services from public and private agencies.
Volunteer page: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeiYsNWg6JAv8OCdTNKdyOrD9b3oaIJgzS5Nf6PoNcBBeEV2Q/viewform?hl=en_US&formkey=dDVrcTlraVNwM21CMFpqSG5RTURuOEE6MQ&pli=1#gid=0
Phone: (908) 753-8730
What volunteers do:
- Helping with ESL and conversational English classes
- Legal assistance regarding immigration matters
- Helping around the office – reception, filing, documents, etc.
- IT expertise and helping with our computer lab
- Helping run computer literacy and internet courses
- Outreach to religious congregations and community organizations
- Communications: website, electronic newsletters, fliers, brochures
- Helping run our emergency food pantry
- Translating and being an advocate for individuals in need
- Helping with fundraising events and campaigns
- Helping run food and clothing drives
- Recruiting volunteers
- Helping organize workshops for families and community members
Region: Union County, Plainfield
Mission: Responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered by conflict and disaster to survive, recover, and gain control of their future.
Volunteer page: https://www.rescue.org/announcement/how-volunteer-elizabeth
What volunteers do: Volunteer Interpreters (Arabic, French, Kiswahili, Dari, Farsi, Pashto, Tigrinya and Other Languages); Volunteer Professional Refugee Mentor; Volunteer Adult ESL Tutor
Region: Union County, Elizabeth
Mission: Our community reflects a diverse demographic profile of a largely Hispanic and African-American population. La Casa provides expanded, multidimensional services in the following areas: early childhood development, youth educational, cultural and recreational programs, youth & family counseling, health initiatives, HIV/AIDS prevention & services, WorkForce development & job placement, affordable housing development and counseling, community development and organizing, emergency and home energy assistance, and home energy conservation.
What volunteers do:
- Short-term and long-term event support.
- Building Improvements (Painting, Landscaping, etc.)
- Community Building
- Community Development
- Health Services
- Immigration Services
- Office Work
- Public Relations/Marketing
FYI: All Volunteers are required to fill out a volunteer application including thorough background check, proof of identification, and references.
Region: Newark, Essex County
Mission: Provides full access to essential civil legal aid for all economically disadvantaged people who cannot secure a lawyer on their own.
Legal Services seeks to secure equal substantive and procedural justice for all economically disadvantaged people.
What volunteers do: Attorney, Hotline Telephone Intake & Paralegal, Tax Preparation, General Clerical & Administrative Assistant, Social Worker-MSW, Translation & Interpretation Services, and Publications.
Region: Edison, Middlesex County