Mission: Provides full access to essential civil legal aid for all economically disadvantaged people who cannot secure a lawyer on their own. Legal Services seeks to secure equal substantive and procedural justice for all economically disadvantaged people.
What volunteers do:
- Hotline Telephone Intake & Paralegal: Hotline Intake Paralegals gather identification, income, and other information about the caller’s legal problems and make referrals for legal and other services. No legal experience is required. Hours are available in our Edison office, Monday through Friday, between 8 AM and 6 PM. Prior experience is not required. LSNJ will provide training. Languages other than English are particularly helpful.
- Tax Preparation: We seek volunteer attorneys and other accounting or tax professionals (CPA’s, enrolled IRS agents etc.) for the Taxpayer Legal Assistance Project. You will provide assistance to low-income New Jersey residents who have tax debt or other matters with the IRS. Prior experience with tax issues and controversies is preferred but not required. LSNJ will provide training. Bi-lingual English-Spanish is helpful.
- General Clerical & Administrative Assistant: LSNJ seeks assistance from volunteers in providing a variety of administrative and general clerical support to our attorneys and other professionals. We will work with you in developing assignments that match your qualifications and desires with our needs. Typical assignments include brief typing, telephone reception, file organization and other document management. Prior experience is preferred but not required. LSNJ will provide training. Knowledge of computers and Microsoft Office helpful.
- Translation & Interpretation Services: Depending on skill level, the translation and interpretations services volunteer may be asked to translate brief correspondence between LSNJ staff and non-English-speaking clients including contact letters and client statements, as well as serve as an interpreter during interviews. Familiarity with legal and even health vocabulary is helpful, but not necessary. Fluency in English and at least one other language and the successful completion of a translation and/or interpretation course or its equivalent are required.
- Publications: LSNJ’s publications department supports the mission of Legal Services, which is to secure justice for people living in poverty, by producing legal education material and resource lists for people who need assistance that is non-legal in nature. Additionally, as we approach our 50th year of Legal Services in New Jersey, we will be looking to publicize anniversary-related events and materials. The ideal publications volunteer candidate will possess strong communication skills and be attentive to detail. Previous writing or proof reading experience is helpful, as is fluency in Spanish. Clerical and computer skills are also helpful, but not necessary.
Region: Edison, Middlesex County
Mission: Manavi’s mission is to end violence against women, specifically family violence and sexual abuse. However, violence by intimate partners is not the only purview of the organization since Manavi defines violence against women as attitudes, conditions, and behaviors that contribute to woman-abuse and perpetuate women’s subordination in society. Manavi adheres to the empowerment model of advocacy, leading to a work philosophy of social change and shared struggle for liberation with women who have suffered violence.
What volunteers do: Prospective volunteers must attend a two hour orientation session that is offered three (3) times a year. The orientation session helps individuals understand Manavi’s philosophy and values and the various opportunities of volunteering with Manavi. We are also open to new ideas and skills that volunteers might bring to enhance women’s wellbeing and empowerment. Areas of volunteer engagement:
- Peer Supportive Counseling and Advocacy
- Medical and Court accompaniment
- Outreach and Community Events
- Translation and Interpretation
- Grant writing
- Office Support
- Technical Support
- Needed volunteer who is fluent in Sylheti to assist in community outreach in Paterson, as well as interpretation for advocates
Mission: VLJ’s mission is to improve the lives of economically-disadvantaged adults, children, and families in New Jersey by empowering them with tools, advice and pro bono representation with the goal of securing fair and equal treatment within the legal system.
Volunteer form/page: http://www.vljnj.org/volunteer-form
Phone: (973) 645-1955
What volunteers do: Volunteer opportunities are available in a variety of civil legal areas and range from limited-scope legal clinics lasting a few hours to full representation.