Mission: Defend and protect the liberties of individuals throughout our state. We achieve our goals through litigation, advocacy on behalf of individuals, and lobbying. In addition, the ACLU-NJ is active in many public education and community organizing projects.
Volunteer page: https://www.aclu-nj.org/act/volunteer/
Volunteer form: https://www.aclu-nj.org/act/volunteer/volunteerinquiryform/
Attorney Volunteer form: https://www.aclu-nj.org/act/volunteer-attorney-form/
What volunteers do:
- Office (Newark): Answer phones, file, manage mail, and organize and update our databases.
- Events and Outreach: Table at community events across the state - at street fairs, festivals, parades, meet and greet parties and rallies, and other events.
- From Home:
Clip newspaper articles that mention civil liberties issues or the ACLU-NJ from local newspapers.
Write letters to the editor about civil liberties in local papers.
Work with community groups to pass pro-civil liberties resolutions in their communities.
Host house parties for their friends with an ACLU-NJ speaker.
Mission: Hudson Pride Connections is the only organization in Hudson County, NJ that provides targeted social services for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender (LGBT) residents, to provide social support, health education and advocacy, HIV/STI prevention and outreach services to the often underserved and disenfranchised LGBT community; and social services for men, women and teens living with HIV in the region. HPC bridges the gap in service for these underserved populations.
Volunteer form: http://hudsonpride.org/fm/index-vol.php
Volunteer page: http://hudsonpride.org/get-involved/volunteer/
What volunteers do:
- Event Volunteers
- Office Assistance: administrative/clerical support
- Maintenance Help
- Support Group Facilitator
- Outreach Volunteer
- Social Media Volunteer
- Graphic Design
- Database management
- Grant Writing
- Gardener: maintain the grounds and taking care of the garden
- Tutor: work with youth
- Facility Manager: responsible for all maintenance and general upkeep of the building
FYI: Complete Volunteer Application, follow guidelines of the Volunteer Orientation Guide
City: Jersey City
Mission: Help people live with HIV, slow the spread of the epidemic, and serve as a critical voice in the public debate surrounding AIDS in New Jersey.
What volunteers do:
Assist with special events and fundraising (work with staff to plan and organize events, such as the AIDS Walk, the Annual Gala & Silent Auction, as well as theater, wine, and food events); administrative support (assist Hyacinth staff in the administration and development of projects such as marketing materials, telephone surveys, information gathering, research, fund-raising, outreach, and HIV training, as well as with the day-to-day administrative responsibilities of Hyacinth offices); and legal services (volunteers provide counseling services, legal information, support, and referrals).
Mission: As North Jersey’s only LGBTQ Center, the Center’s mission is to create and sustain a safe space that fosters a better quality of life for our community and allies in the Greater Newark area. In doing so, the vision of the Center is to support the diverse community in our area by offering programs, services and events that address the plethora of concerns of LGBTQ individuals— including homelessness, economic empowerment, health and wellness and social injustice. The Center strives to affirm lives and create a space where the community feels welcomed, embraced, empowered and celebrated. The Center offers LGBTQ Newarkers a place to feel safe and comfortable, to network and build relationships, to learn leadership and advocacy skills, and to enjoy social interactions in an affirming environment.
What volunteers do:
- Accounting Volunteer: Perform basic accounting and clerical duties, including maintaining spreadsheets and correspondence with vendors.
- Community Outreach Volunteer: Perform seminars and talks about the Center and its programs. Give safe sex lectures and distribute safe sex kits. Talk to local residents as peer-to-peer educators.
- Development/Fundraising Volunteer: Assist in developing Center presence at colleges and universities. Help develop and coordinate logistics for special events. Provide on-site support during special events (schedule permitting). Track a list of grant proposals written. Update and maintain donor list. Generate and distribute acknowledgements for event donors. Experienced grant writing as needed and major gifts officers are welcome.
- General Maintenance Volunteer: Sweep and mop the hallway and main room. Clean tables and chairs. Vacuum the computer room. Replace and restock toilet paper, paper towels, and computer paper. Clean water closet and toilet. Set up and take down tables and chairs for special events (schedule permitting). Empty garbage cans and replace liners. Clean windows.
- Graphic Design Volunteer: Design and create signage, program magazine layouts, invitations, print/Web ads, flyers and mailers for the Center and its programming. Prepare work for prepress, review proofs, and communicate with printers. Perform multiple projects simultaneously and learn how to build production schedules and meet deadlines.
- Program Manager Volunteer: Support volunteer recruitment efforts. Conduct data analyses, including program participation trends and evaluation results. Update and revise the policy and procedure manual. Research and update the program database. Support the Center in the delivery of workshops and industry seminars, including workshop preparation and set-up, and assisting with registration. Complete additional projects and duties as determined.
Mission: To provide comprehensive programming which fosters the health and well-being of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, inter-sexed and questioning (LGBTIQ) community, and to increase public acceptance and champion social change for the LGBTIQ community through education and outreach.
Volunteer form/page: http://www.pridecenter.org/get-involved/volunteer/
What volunteers do: Host, Fundraising Committee, Marketing Committee, Program Committee, Library Committee.
City: Highland Park