Mission: Defend and protect the liberties of individuals throughout our state. We achieve our goals through litigation, advocacy on behalf of individuals, and lobbying. In addition, the ACLU-NJ is active in many public education and community organizing projects.
Volunteer page: https://www.aclu-nj.org/act/volunteer/
Volunteer form: https://www.aclu-nj.org/act/volunteer/volunteerinquiryform/
Attorney Volunteer form: https://www.aclu-nj.org/act/volunteer-attorney-form/
What volunteers do:
- Office (Newark): Answer phones, file, manage mail, and organize and update our databases.
- Events and Outreach: Table at community events across the state - at street fairs, festivals, parades, meet and greet parties and rallies, and other events.
- From Home:
Clip newspaper articles that mention civil liberties issues or the ACLU-NJ from local newspapers.
Write letters to the editor about civil liberties in local papers.
Work with community groups to pass pro-civil liberties resolutions in their communities.
Host house parties for their friends with an ACLU-NJ speaker.
Mission: build an equitable society in the United States by de-centering white culture and centering an anti-racist multiracial culture free of white supremacy.
What volunteers do:
- social media ambassador
- write for the blog
- graphic design/web skills
- planning actions.
- supporting local groups around the country.
- developing and facilitating trainings for white anti-racist organizers.
- organizing families for racial justice.
Mission: To assist African Americans and disadvantaged urban residents in the achievement of social and economic self-sufficiency. Provide full day child care and pre-school, help find employment, help with housing, and provide financial literacy education.
Volunteer form/page: http://www.ulec.org/volunteer
What volunteers do: Tutoring / Mentoring Young Adults; Workshops / Tutoring Adults; Arts / Community Beautification; Pro Bono Projects and Services.
Region: Newark, Essex County